Hispanic Ministries Institute
June 2-7, 2013
Brite Divinity School
Bass Conference Center
2925 Princeton St, Fort Worth, TX 76129
Registration required 817-257-7575
Brite Divinity School is pleased to announce that its next Hispanic Ministries Institute will be offered June 2-7, 2013. Remember that we will do everything that is possible to help you attend the Latino summer program at Brite. We would like to inform you about some of the costs and benefits related to our summer Institute.
• We are offering Theological Education in English and Spanish with a recognized faculty. Ministers and participants do not pay tuition or other education related fees. You may select classes in English or Spanish.
• Registration is $100.00 per person. Disciple pastors have scholarships available through some areas or regions. It is important that we receive this payment by the May 20, 2013 deadline.
• Meals are $28.10 per day totaling $140.10 for the week. The Center is offering participants scholarships to cover the meals expenses if they register on time. Please ask Reina about this scholarship when registering before the dateline of May 20, 2013. Participants who register after the dateline will cover their own meals expense.
• Dorms: You may make your own personal arrangements to stay with a relative, friend, or at a local hotel. If you prefer to stay at the university dorms, the cost per day at TCU are $50.00 per day, with linens, or $250.00 for the week. Many local congregations cover this expense for their pastors. This amount should also be turned in to our office before the deadline of May 20, 2013.
We understand that there may be unexpected circumstances. Ordained ministers, pastors, and church leaders, register as soon as possible. Please call Reina Rodriguez at 817-257-7575 for more information or to coordinate any special need that you may have.
Luis C. Bernard, D.Min.
La Escuela de Divinidad Brite se complace en anunciar que su próximo Instituto para Ministerios Hispanos se ofrecerá entre el 2-7 de Junio, 2013. Recuerden que haremos todo lo posible para ayudarles a asistir al programa de verano para Latinos en Brite. Deseamos informarles sobre algunos beneficios y gastos relacionados con nuestro Instituto de verano.
• Estamos ofreciendo educación teológica en español e inglés con una facultad reconocida. Pastores y participantes no pagan por gastos de matricula o otros costos relacionados a la educación. Usted puede seleccionar clases en español o en inglés.
• El costo de registro es $100.00 por persona. Hay becas disponibles para pastores Discípulos por medio de algunas oficinas de área o región. Es importante que recibamos este pago para la fecha límite de 20 de mayo, 2013.
• El costo de comidas es de $28.10 por día lo que hace un total de $140.50 a la semana. El Centro ofrece becas de alimento para los participantes. Por favor solicite la beca con Reina antes de la fecha límite de 20 de mayo, 2013. Participantes que no se registren antes de la fecha límite, pagaran sus propios gastos de comidas.
• Dormitorios: Pueden hace arreglos personales con algún familiar, conocido, o alquilar una habitación en cualquier hotel local. Si usted prefiere quedarse en los dormitorios de la universidad, el costo para dormitorios en TCU es $50.00 por día, incluye ropa de cama, o $250.00 por semana. Muchas iglesias cubren estos gastos a sus pastores. Esta cantidad también se debe enviar a nuestras oficinas antes del 20 de mayo, 2013.
Entendemos que puedan existir circunstancias particulares. Pastores, laicos o ordenados, favor de registrarse lo antes posible. Si requiere arreglos especiales llame a Reina Rodríguez al 817-257-7575 y déjele saber cuáles son sus necesidades.
Luis C. Bernard, D.Min.
As the semester comes to a close, we would like to host one last event for our LGBTQ+ community and straight allies of Brite Divinity! This particular gathering is open to LGBTQ+ members of our Brite community and their spouses/partners/guests, as well as all our straight allies who would like to join. We look forward to your RSVP (for attendance and to let us know what you can bring from the list below so we know what else to purchase) and hope you will come join in the conversation, a time for getting to know each other, an opportunity to exchange contact info, provide input about planning for our future gatherings, and just have a great time!
Please join the group for a great conclusion to the 2012-13 year.
DATE: Friday, April 26th at 6:30 P.M.
BRING: An item from the list below, as well as a side dish, appetizer, or something else to enjoy and share with the community (this event is BYOB, tea and water will be provided)
Hot Dogs/Sausages/Hamburger Patties
Hot Dog Buns/Hamburger Buns
Cheese (for hotdogs and/or hamburgers)
Please RSVP or direct questions to Robbie Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get an accurate count for our wonderful host, Dean Joretta Marshall, who has graciously volunteered her home for this event! We will then send you directions upon receiving your response! (PLEASE MAKE SURE TO RSVP YOUR ATTENDANCE AND NOT SHOW UP UNANNOUNCED OUT OF COURTESY TO OUR HOST AND PLANNERS)
Hope to see y’all there!
This weekend, April 20-22, St. Stephen Presbyterian is hosting Dr. Victoria Barnett, the Director of Programs on Ethics and Religion at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum and chief editor of the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, for a series of lectures.
Saturday, April 20th
10:00 am – Lecture on “Bonhoeffer and Faith in the World Come of Age”
11:30 am – Lunch
Following lunch-2 pm – Workshop on applying Bonhoeffer’s theology to issues the church faces today
Sunday, April 21st
2:00 pm – Lecture on “How the Holocaust Changed Interfaith Relations”
Monday, April 22nd
12:00 pm-1:30 pm – “Bonhoeffer and Faith in a World Come of Age” (Seminary students, faculty, and religious professionals are invited to meet with her)
To reserve a lunch for Saturday and/or Monday please call Judi at 817-927-8411. Lunch is $7.
We hope to see you there!
May 12-18, 2013 study abroad trip to Guatemala with Dr. Lozada and Dr. Waggoner. Guatemala flyer
Dear Brite Students:
I am leading a group of students, along with Dr. Warren Carter and friends of Brite, to Turkey to tour ancient cities linked to the writings of Paul, the Revelation of John, and the Acts of Apostles in January 2014. We will also tour other ancient cities linked to the development of early Christianity, spend some time touring the treasures of Istanbul (formerly Constantinople), and also a bit of time learning about modern Turkish culture and religious practice.
The trip will depart DFW on December 31, 2013, and return on January 10, 2014 in time for spring classes.
At present the estimated cost per person (double occupancy) is $3835. While I am aware that this cost will be prohibitive for most students, please also note the following: 1) there is a possibility that the student price might be somewhat lower, as we are seeking donations from outside parties through a newly established Student Study Abroad fund. Since the fund is newly established, we are not certain what fruit it might bear, but we are hoping it makes possible at least a somewhat reduced price for Brite students. 2) If you are active in a church that might be open to the possibility of sponsoring your travel, I am willing to speak with you about how to initiate that conversation.
Also, please note that if you are interested in doing elective course work for credit (under the NETE prefix), that will be possible. Please contact me for further information about linking the trip to such credit.
Finally, initial deposits of $800 to reserve a space are due on April 15 (depending on interest level, it might be possible to negotiate for a somewhat later date for that first deposit for students, provided that I am aware of your interest now).
If you are interested in keeping updated about the trip, or have further questions, please do not hesitate to email me. A brochure will soon circulate with further information. For complete information on trip specifics and itinerary, please click the following link to our travel agency, Illume Travel: http://www.travelillume.com/trc/iox/
Associate Professor of New Testament
Brite Divinity School, Texas Christian University
TCU Box 298130
Fort Worth, TX 76109